How to make secondary nameserver

Volker Borchert bt at teknon.de
Wed Aug 25 16:02:12 UTC 1999

In article <37c40129 at news.cadvision.com>, "M&J" <mhutch at cadvision.com> writes:
|> I used the DNS how to and have a functioning primary nameserver.  How do I
|> go about making a secondary name server now?  Is there someplace where I can
|> find documentation on how to do this?

In the O'Reilly book "DNS & BIND".

Anyway, for BIND 4, the secondary's named.boot contains lines
of the form

secondary do.main 1.2.3.4 zone.backup.file

(with 1.2.3.4 replaced by the IP of the server it should fetch
the zone from) where the primary's named.boot contains lines
of the form

primary do.main zone.file

The zone.backup.file is used to load zone data in case the
primary is unreachable when named starts, and is written shortly
after named has started and rewritten after a zone change was
propagated.

That's about all...

--

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic." Dr Leonard McCoy <mccoy at ncc1701.starfleet.fed>