Nslookup and reverse resolving....

Rick Gocher rgocher at coptalk.com
Wed Aug 25 19:07:00 UTC 1999

Hi everybody,

I have a RH 6.0 system which has been having problems I think reverse
resolving.  If I am at the machine and type nslookup then set query=any then
type in domain.com  it comes back fine.  However if I am on another machine
and try this is does not return any message just sits there with time outs
until I break out.

Another problem which is hopefully related, whenever I type nslookup at the
prompt it returns with edssalumni domain name which I host, not the name of
my domain.  Perhaps my reverse zone file is the problem,  Besides the soa
and serial numbers I only have four entries and they look like this.

                NS                   lions.extranetedge.com.
150         NS    PTR        lions.extranetedge.com.
150         NS    PTR        www.rupnow.com.
150         NS    PTR        www.edssalumni.com.

The same IP hosts all the domains so I thought I could re-use the ip?  Is
this correct?  I have included the actual domain names in case someone has
time to look.

Thanks again for any help,

Rick

.