ns_resp: TCP truncated

Tony Harris tharris at cts.com
Thu Aug 26 14:07:09 UTC 1999

Does anyone know what would cause the following message?

Aug 26 02:41:50 ns named[26398]: ns_resp: TCP truncated: "rslhelp.radiusplc.co.uk" IN ANY

I did some nslookups starting from the root servers and ended up with the following information:

Server:  ns.eu.net
Address:  192.16.202.11

Name:    rslhelp.radiusplc.co.uk
Address:  192.168.2.11

First thing I noticed was the IP address (Being a non-internet IP address)

Another wierd thing is my nameserver does not host any co.uk domains
nor does it have any host records that contain that IP address.

These TCP truncated messages started Aug 25th 01:03:04 and they have popped
up in my named.log 233 times since then.  Another issue on this nameserver is the
CPU usage for named.  It has always run between 2% - 4% but starting on the
25th I have found it at 90%+ leaving the system at 0.0% idle.  By running an ndc restart
it seems to go back down to normal for a while.  However, it occasionally jumps back
up there.  Could these 2 events be related?

Here is an example:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 1708 root               89    0        21M   14M run         38:24   98.88% 98.88% named

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Tony

System is running Bind 8.1.1 on a BSD 3.0 system using the named-bootconf.pl.