??? Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk at dsl.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 23:53:15 UTC 1999

On 25 Aug, in article <37C4181D.53D89E1E at bigfoot.com>
     ducp at bigfoot.com "ducp" wrote:

> I am trying to set up DNS server using linuxconf, after done, I get the
> following message after typing in
>
> nslookup
>
> ??? Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1
>
> What does this mean? Can anyone help?

Duh!

It means:
    1) Your resolver thinks that your server is running on 192.168.1.1;
    this is probably correct if you're using RFC-1918 private network
    addresses.
    2) The server on 192.168.1.1 is unable to resolve a PTR request for
    1.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  In other words, it doesn't know what it's
    supposed to call itself.

Did you create a zone file for the 168.192.in-addr.arpa domain, and
include within it a PTR RR for 1.1 (within that domain), providing the
name of your server m/c?  If so, did you include this in your named
configuration?

This is pretty elementary; have you tried reading any books before
embarking upon your quest?

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}                                         bhk at dsl.co.uk
    "But we're a university.  We /have/ to have a library!..."said Ridcully,