DNS redundancy

Patrick Greenwell patrick at stealthgeeks.net
Thu Aug 26 17:05:54 UTC 1999

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 Vincent.Tan at mail.state.ky.us wrote:

> Dear DNS gurus:
>
> I am looking for a solution that will provide redundancy (immediate) for my
> primary DNS.  We have one primary DNS, and several secondary/slave DNS.
> However, when the primary goes offline, clients (especially windows) take
> too long to resolve name queries (usually waiting for a timeout before
> querying the secondary DNS).
>
> A proposal was suggested by a colleague of mine that we install a layer 4
> switch, such as Alteon's AceDirector.

I've done this, and it works. I had a number of issues with the Alteon's
though, and strongly suggest you use the Foundry switches instead.

If you want to avoid the expense though, the people at UltraDNS
(http://www.ultradns.com) offer a service that has this functionality(and
allows you to do a bunch of other fairly cool things.)