Newbie Question: Is DNS beneficial in a private network?

Jim Durkin jdurkin at gw.total-web.net
Thu Aug 26 19:48:31 UTC 1999

Hello.

This is a basic question.   In my company, we have a private network
consisting of routers and voice over ip gateways.  Since we do not want
anyone to access our devices, does it make sense to setup a DNS server???
My understanding is that a DNS server must be registered with the Internic.
Besides providing name to IP translation for our 20 or so devices, is there
any other benefits?   Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim