Multiple PTRs for one IP

Henry Wong an184 at torfree.net
Fri Aug 27 06:03:04 UTC 1999

I'm using a RedHat 6.0 (Kernel 2.2.5) system...
My 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. file contains several PTRs pointing to
several hostnames.
(e.g.         1            PTR    mail.domain
                  1            PTR    ftp.domain
                  1            PTR    ns.domain
                  1            PTR    www.domain
                    etc...")
My /etc/resolv.conf file has a nameserver 192.168.0.1 line.
When starting nslookup, it starts with a default server of ftp.domain
instead of ns.domain that I wanted... (They are the same IP :)
When doing a ls -d 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, somthing like this is
displayed

1            1D IN PTR            ftp.domain.
              1D IN PTR            www.domain.
              1D IN PTR            mail.domain.

the ftp.domain. is displayed first, which I guess would explain why the
Default Server when using nslookup is ftp.domain.

I know this is purely a cosmetic issue, but is there any way to change
the order of the ls -d 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. or somehow set the
default server to use ns.domain instead of ftp.domain?