Distributing DNS servers

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 30 14:18:25 UTC 1999

In article <7q8oei$nmf$1 at nyheter.crt.se>,  <peter at nospam.se> wrote:
>Barry Margolin <barmar at bbnplanet.com> wrote:
>
>Mr, Margolin:
>
>I must confess, i do not understand the motivation for these schenarios.
>Please enlighten me (and maye others) why this is done, and
>what benefits are gained.

There are several benefits:

1) We can tell all our customers the same DNS server IP addresses,
regardless of where they're located on our backbone, and they'll still
query the closest server.

2) If a server goes down we can remove it from the routing table, and
customers will be re-routed to the next closest server.  This is better
than the resolver failing over to a backup server, because there's no
timeout involved.

3) We can add and remove servers from our backbone as necessary without
customers having to reconfigure their systems.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com