a newbie question: how do i upgrade my bind 4.9.7 to latest version

Jim Reid jim at mpn.cp.philips.com
Mon Aug 30 17:28:52 UTC 1999

    Cricket> Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it's a bad idea.
    Cricket> Since named-bootconf does read named.boot, it could also
    Cricket> go through the zone data files, extract the seventh SOA
    Cricket> RDATA field and insert an appropriate $TTL control
    Cricket> statement, and maybe replace the seventh RDATA field with
    Cricket> something smaller.

    Cricket> What does everyone think?

I think it's a bad idea. If it has to be implemented, it should be in
some other script, not named-bootconf. Scripts to aid the migration to
BIND8 are all very well, but IMHO there's no substitute for a decent
FAQ or README in the distribution.

    Cricket> It'd be fairly easy to implement.

In theory yes, in practice I suspect it'll cause more problems than it
solves. First of all, the clueless won't read the README or run the
zone file munging script, so the same question about the log message
will continue to be asked anyway. [And probably not much less
frequently than it gets asked just now.] Secondly, the script will
have to take account of every possible version control that might be
in use. I assume/hope everybody puts their zone files into RCS or SCCS
or CVS or whatever. Thirdly the script won't be much help to the folk
who generate their zone files from things like h2n. That probably
causes more trouble: we'll get questions like "I didnt get those 'No
default TTL set' messages before, so why do I get them now?".