Setting up records for virtually hosted web domains: is this good syntax?

Pancho Cole pancho at acadia.net
Sun Aug 29 11:05:37 UTC 1999

I have a question, in 2 parts, about properly  formatting some records
for virtually hosted domains. I have run various checks on these,
including a "delint" program, but I am looking for some additional
input. First, I stuck a "glue" type of record in there, so that
references to p1.acadia.net would have an "A" record. Is that the
correct way to refer to an IP for a virtually hosted domain?
Secondly, I stuck the "@" record in theire for all those people that
want "mydomain.com" instead of "www.mydomain.com" to work.
Is that also good syntax?  BTW I am running BIND 8.2.1
-----
$TTL  86400     ; This is the NEW TTL needed for BIND 8.2
;
@       IN      SOA     p1.acadia.net.  hostmaster.acadia.net. (
                                4       ; Serial number
                                10800   ; Refresh every 3 hours
                                3600    ; Retry every hour
                                604800  ; Expire every 20 days
                                86400 ); Minimum 2 days
;
		IN      NS      p1.acadia.net.
		IN      NS      p3.acadia.net.

		IN      MX      10 p1
;
localhost	IN      A       127.0.0.1
;
;
p1		IN      CNAME   p1.acadia.net.
www		IN      CNAME   p1.acadia.net.
p1.acadia.net.	IN      A       205.217.211.1
@ 		IN      A       205.217.211.1
--
Pancho Cole, webmaster and hostmaster for AcadiaNet
 http://www.acadia.net/	http://home.acadia.net/
  Work (207)664-3100	 webmaster at acadia.net