DNS/@home/LINUX/

pconley at home.com pconley at home.com
Mon Aug 30 20:25:27 UTC 1999

Hi,

	I've set up DNS/BIND on a linux box in my home (BIND=version 8
and on the @home network).  On another network, if I set the name
server ip to this machine, all hostnmame/address mappings are resolved
with nslookup...so I think I have BIND configured and running
properly.  However, if I let the default ISP nameservers handle it,
the mappings are not resolved.   I thought that if the lookup failed
at the ISP nameserver, then it would ask the NIC which host is doing
DNS for my personal domain, and then pass the request off to my DNS
machine.  This does not appear to be working in my case

1) Can anyone suggest possible configuration pitfalls that would give
this behavior?
2) Does anyone know if it is possible to do your own DNS for a domain
containing hosts on different subnets (as is generally the case when
one gets multiple ip addresses from your ISP.

Thanks.