can CNAMEs and MXs coexist

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 30 22:54:23 UTC 1999

In article <37CB0642.12E1B1B2 at cisco.com>,
Michael Voight  <mvoight at cisco.com> wrote:
>Nope. You can not have any other record for a host once you have a CNAME
>Why not just create an A record instead of the CNAME?

Because ods.org is a provider of dynamic DNS.  miles-update.ods.org gets
updated automatically, but miles.ods.org apparently doesn't.

>Joel Miles wrote:
>>
>> can both CNAME and MX records exist for the same domain?
>> here is what I'm talking about:
>>
>> miles.ods.org IN CNAME miles-update.ods.org
>> miles.ods.org IN MX 10 miles.ods.org
>> miles.ods.org IN MX 20 <my secondary mail server>
>>
>> while the miles-update.ods.org file looks like this:
>>
>> miles-update.ods.org IN A <my dynamically update ip>
>>
>> will this work?  I haven't had much luck.

Why not do:

miles.ods.org. IN MX 10 miles-update.ods.org.
miles.ods.org. IN MX 20 <your secondary mail server>

You can also have:

www.miles.ods.org. IN CNAME miles-update.ods.org.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com