can CNAMEs and MXs coexist

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 31 14:39:03 UTC 1999

In article <006a01bef347$08cc8000$0200a8c0 at miles.ods.org>,
>Does this mean that I have to create a new zone record for
>www.miles.ods.org?

You shouldn't have to.  You only need to create a new zone if you want to
delegate authority to different servers than the parent domain.  You don't
have have create a subzone just because you're creating a subdomain.

>I cannot directly edit my zone files while using ODS.org, so I can't do
>this:
>
>www.miles.ods.org IN CNAME miles-update.ods.org
>
>in my miles.ods.org file.  It thinks I want to do this:
>
>miles.ods.org IN CNAME miles-update.ods.org

This isn't a BIND problem, since BIND has no problem with such records.
It's a problem with ODS.ORG, so you should contact them for assistance, not
us.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com