Is going to "http://somewhere.com." faster?

Merton Campbell Crockett M.C.Crockett at WLV.IIPO.GTEGSC.COM
Mon Aug 2 04:08:57 UTC 1999

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

}
} 	It is no longer "normal" behaviour and has not been for several
} 	year.

Please explain the conditions under which this is abnormal behaviour.

} 	If your resolver has this behaviour it contains a significant
} 	security flaw.

Again, please explain.  Only last week, I was looking into a resolution
problem under BIND 8.2.1.  With the trailing ".", dig would resolve the
name more quickly than without.

It would seem logical from the Bachus-Naur definition of a domain name
that a fully-qualified domain name would include the null domain label for
the root and therefore would be terminated by a ".".  Without a trailing
".", the resolvers would have only a partial domain name and would have to
append the local domain to discover if this were a local domain name.

Merton Campbell Crockett

} > This is normal behavior of the resolver. And yes if you append a dot its
} > faster.
} >
} >
} > >From: yong321 at yahoo.com
} > >To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
} > >Subject: Is going to "http://somewhere.com." faster?
} > >Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:20:55 GMT
} > >
} > >I'm learning DNS. At the nslookup> prompt, I "set debug". Then query
} > >"www.uh.edu" for University of Houston (I work at Houston). It first
} > >tries to find "www.uh.edu.mycompany.com" and gets 0 answers. Then it
} > >tries to find "www.uh.edu" and finds it. Now if I type "www.uh.edu."
} > >(with the appending dot), it finds it with one attempt. This is easy to
} > >understand.
} > >
} > >Then I think if I go to the homepage of any Web site (not inside the
} > >site), I can append a dot to the host name to speed up DNS lookup a
} > >little bit. So in the browser, instead of typing the URL "www.uh.edu"
} > >(or "http://www.uh.edu") I type "www.uh.edu.". Please comment. Thanks.
} > >
} > >Yong
} > >Email:yong321 at yahoo.com
} > >
} > >
} > >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
} > >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
} > >
}
} >
} > ______________________________________________________
} >
} >
} --
} Mark Andrews, Internet Software Consortium
} 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
} PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org
}
}

			     Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Senior Network/Security Engineer |
| GTE Government Systems Corporation     |     Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Electronic Systems Division		 |            Port Hueneme Division |
| Intelligence Systems Organization	 |                   IT/TIS Program |
| Thousand Oaks, CA			 |                 Port Hueneme, CA |