Question regarding setup of NS services

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Aug 2 18:31:51 UTC 1999

In article <2A7687211800D211A00C0060B05722280172C007 at lynx.thecreek.com>,
Ben Kosse  <BKosse at thecreek.com> wrote:
>What I need to do is get the 10.x range from the internal servers (I can't
>use a hosts file for the required systems because qmail doesn't support
>using hosts), while still acting as the primary name server for several
>domains and handling requests from the inside.
>
>The external host is a Solaris box while the internal name servers are NT4
>boxes.
>
>I'm thinking I can just tell the Solaris box to use the internal systems as
>name servers but run BIND (version 8) as well. Is this going to do it for
>me?

Yes.  Applications, such as sendmail, query the servers listed in
/etc/resolv.conf.  If this file only lists the internal servers, this
machine will use that information when forwarding mail.  But when queries
from the outside world come in to the server, named will answer using the
information in its own configuration; named ignores /etc/resolv.conf.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com