Terminology - map file

sammi326 at yahoo.com sammi326 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 20:09:12 UTC 1999

I'm trying to install a cache corruption fake DNS server for DNS
auditing.  The instructions read as follows:

"...you need to configure your actual DNS name server to talk
to the fake DNS server. To do this, you need to add an NS record
to the map file for your domain.  Add the following to your
map file:
     fake.domain.name.       IN     NS     host name
where fake.domain.name. is a domain name you choose for the fake
DNS server, for instance, dns-security.foo.com. (Remember to include
a trailing dot at the end of the fake domain name in the map file.)
Host name is the host name of the machine where the fake DNS server
is installed.

NOTE: The fake domain name you choose must be a fully qualified
domain name.

For the example of a fake domain name dns-security.foo.com,
you would add the following to your map file:
     dns-security.foo.com.   IN     NS     host name"

Well as a DNS newbie, here's what is really throwing me... "map file"
Is that my zoneinfo database or my named boot file.  None of my DNS
books talk about a specific map file.  It seems every file is a map
file of sorts...hostname to IP...IP to hostname...

I think it means I need to make the DNS server I am going to audit, a
secondary to a sub-domain through delegation....SO...in the named boot
I make the audit-target a secondary to a NS in a sub-domain.  And in
the Zone file, I've got to say a certain machine is a name server.

Or am I making it too complicated?
Would a DNS-pro, please point me in the right direction.

TIA,
Sammi