DNS with only one IP

Kind Bud kindbud at my-deja.com
Mon Aug 2 20:37:17 UTC 1999

My ISP is the same as yours.  I just got my hookup on Friday.  I got
the enhanced DSL, with a tiny /29 block.  PacBell *will* do secondary
nameservice for any of their customers, they just charge a $100 one-
time fee to set it up, which is excessive, IMO. Their web site is just
a little misleading since it's listed as a feature of the Enhanced DSL
service.

The in-addr.arpa delegation is unnecessary.  PacBell keeps the forward
and reverse resolution consistent.  You won't have problems getting
into services (like ftp.uu.net) that insist that the two be
consistent.  Of course, the forward and reverse lookups will match a
PacBell domain, not yours, but this is OK for the purpose at hand.

Any web server or other service you want to run on your DSL connection
under your own domain name will not need reverse resolution, only
forward.

Contact me about secondary service for your domain.  I would be
interested in trading service with you (you sec me, I sec you).  Just
don't ever turn off your nameserver, and pay your bill on time. :)

--
--> My real e-mail address is:
--> mbatchelor "at" citysearch "dot" com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/