mail at domain failure, www: A or CNAME?, and name lookup failure.

Jason Price gt5076c at cad.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 2 21:43:26 UTC 1999

I've read the first 5 chapters of the ORA book, but these three questions
are still vexing me:

1) We're setting up a site that will take over for an old site.  Part of
this setup is DNS.

Since we havn't gone live yet, I'm cheating.  I'm claiming the domain in
our nameserver, but it's not official yet.

I've set up the following:

leia.ourdomain.com.                 IN  A     207.106.105.20.
leia.ourdomain.com.                 IN  A     10.1.1.20.

ourdomain.com.                      IN  A     leia.ourdomain.com.
ourdomain.com.                      IN  MX 10 leia.ourdomain.com.

in our db.ourdomain file to try to get username at ourdomain.com mail
addresses to work, but nslookup either gives non-existant host/domain
errors, or returns the answers of the production system, depending on if I
don't or do use set type=mx respectivly.

2) I've set up (at different times) both of the following, and can't get
www.ourdomain.com to resolve.  c3po.ourdomain.com resolves just fine, but
www doesn't.  Eventually we want www.ourdomain.com to resolve to various
IP's to do the DNS round robin thing, but I need to get 1 working now...

www.ourdomain.com.                  IN  A     207.106.105.25.
www.ourdomain.com.                  IN  CNAME c3po.ourdomain.com.

3) we have an IP that refuses mapping.  I have the following in
db.ourdomain:

oracle.ourdomain.com.               IN  A     207.106.105.36.
oracle.ourdomain.com.               IN  A     10.1.1.36.

nslookup of either IP works just fine, but attempts to resolve from the
name oracle.ourdomain.com fail with a host not found.

Thank you for any help;
Jason

--
Look into their eyes, and ponder on what you see,
for they will tell you more truly than their lips
Jason Price  Theta Xi, BA 449  jprice at gatech.edu