CNAME stuff in Bind8.2

Pandit, Tushar tpandit at imps0014.us.dg.com
Tue Aug 3 19:04:25 UTC 1999

Hello,

I am trying to get my bind 8.2 started and this is the error that I am getting:

Aug  3 14:34:56 altair4 named[2547]:<3.5> webo.hosts:224:oa.webo.dg.com: CNAME a
nd OTHER data error

The data in the db file for the above domain looks like this:

oa.webo.dg.com.         IN      MX      10      magellan.webo.dg.com.
oa.webo.dg.com.         IN      MX      20      dg-webo.webo.dg.com.

oa.webo.dg.com. IN      CNAME   stacks.webo.dg.com.

This was working fine in Bind 4.9.7. At least it did not reject the zone. I am not sure if this
is violation of RFC 1034, but seems like Bind8.2 doesn't like it and rejects the master zone.

Is there any other way that this shud be specified ? I would like to keep the CNAME record, as
it is going to used by sendmail.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks much.

--