CNAME problems (was: Re: query on non-query socket)

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Tue Aug 3 19:37:31 UTC 1999

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 12:08:37PM -0700, party wrote:
> ftp             IN      CNAME   softnetcom.com.
>                 IN      MX      10 mail.anemos.com.
> www             IN      CNAME   softnetcom.com.
>                 IN      MX      10 mail.anemos.com.
>
> Which should work just fine, because  softnetcom.com is an A,
> and  ftp and www are CNAMES of  softnetcom.com.

In your logfiles you should find error messages like
   "contains CNAME and other data illegal"
Entries that have an CNAME records MAY NOT contain any other record.
(this is defined in a RFC, I'm rather sure it is there since the first
one on DNS).

CNAME means kinda "I don't really exist, all info is at <host_cname_points_to>"
Also it is not allowed that NS or MX records point to CNAMEs. A setup
like:

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------
bar		IN	NS	ns
		IN	MX	10 mail

ns		IN	CNAME	foo
mail		IN	CNAME	foo

foo		IN	A	1.2.3.4

is invalid.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:maex-sig at Space.Net | you funny and you need