Problem: Bind8.1.2/Irix/Ip-aliasing

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Aug 3 19:50:46 UTC 1999

In article <7o6o3s$d3n$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Berislav Todorovic  <BERI at etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:
>In article <Pine.GS4.4.05.9908021209070.6786-100000 at orion>, Jacob
>Weismann Poulsen <jwp at dmi.dk> wrote:
>
>> A host with two ip-addresses for a single interface. Bind version
>> 8.1.2 running on platform X must answer on both ip-addresses.
>> I have tried to specify the IP-addresses that Bind should listen
>> on by using the option listen on port 53 { ... }, but it doesn't
>> change anything.
>
>Try the following:
>
>options {
>   listen-on port 53 { any; };
>};

Since that's the default, it seems unlikely to work.

>If it doesn't work, try to specify both interface addresses explicitly,
>i.e.: "listen-on port 53 { 10.9.8.7; 10.1.2.3; };".

Someone else posted a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, and he had
tried this solution as well.

It sounds like there's a bug in the code that tries to find all the virtual
addresses on some operating systems.  I'm not surprised -- virtual
addresses are something that every Unix vendor seems to have done
differently (Solaris has logical interfaces, other OS's have IP aliases),
so it's a challenge for a program like BIND to understand them all.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com