(no subject)

Luiz, Dave@HWDC Dluiz at HWDC.STATE.CA.US
Tue Aug 3 19:54:52 UTC 1999

Hello DNS administrators!
I have a problem I can't seem to get a handle on and need some guidance. We
have an internal DNS on an IBM RS6000 running AIX ver 4.2.1 (syslog reports
our DNS server is using 4.9.3 version of bind.) Customers trying to telnet
from foreign networks to a host inside our network are experiencing a 90
second delay in receiving our login herald due to what I'm guessing is the
telnet daemon's reverse IP resolution "feature" when the client's IP cannot
be reverse resolvable. After the timeout period expires, the telnet session
connects as expected. Unfortunately, our customers don't enjoy the 90 second
delay. I am aware of workarounds such as /etc/hosts, in-addr-arpa,
/etc/netsvc.conf but these are foreign network IP addresses I'd prefer not
to have to hardcode. Can someone explain why the reverse lookup is even
attempted when the connection is made regardless of the outcome? Is there a
way to disable this "feature"?

Dave Luiz - Network Management Unit
State of California - Health and Welfare Data Center
Phone: (916)-739-7703
Fax: (916)-454-7232                  www
mailto:dluiz at hwdc.state.ca.us       (@ @)