My DNS not always available on the web

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 3 23:50:40 UTC 1999

> Thanks Barry.
>
> So, can a domain contain its own authorative nameservers? In other words coul
> d I
> use ns1.funktion.co.uk and ns2.funktion.co.uk as the name servers for
> funktion.co.uk? If so then I could at least eliminate the bb-online.net stage
> .

	Yes.  This is the DNS used to work before there were a host
	of third party hosted sites.

	Just configure the NS?.FUNKTION.CO.UK as servers for
	funktion.co.uk along with ns?.bb-online.net.  Then add the
	NS records that refer to NS?.FUNKTION.CO.UK (keep the ones
	that refer to ns?.bb-online.net there as well).  Now provide
	new delegation information to CO.UK about FUNKTION.CO.UK,
	they will need A records for NS?.FUNKTION.CO.UK for glue.

	Now all you need to remember is that everytime you change
	the addresses of NS?.FUNKTION.CO.UK you need to update your
	delegation as it contains glue records for NS?.FUNKTION.CO.UK.

	The registrar for CO.UK may provide a seperate method to
	just update the glue records when such a change is made. I
	have not need to deal with them so I don't know.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org