Primary & Secondary for subdomain

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 3 00:52:14 UTC 1999

In article <19991201221543.38507.qmail at hotmail.com>,
Kevin Quinn <dnsguy at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Would it make sense to have a primary for abc.com also act as a secondary
>for xyz.abc.com?

Sure, we do it all the time.  We're primary for the reverse DNS for our
CIDR blocks, and we frequently delegate reverse DNS to the customers that
we assign class C's to, and then offer to provide secondary DNS for those
blocks.

>		  The primary was required to set up a subdomain for an
>exteranl site. The external site wants to have a secondary for themselves.
>Would there be any issues if the primary also acted as a secondary for the
>subdomain?

None whatsoever.  Just curious: what makes you think it would be a problem?
What kinds of issues do you suppose there would be?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com