(no subject)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 3 03:10:38 UTC 1999

1. Check to see if there are 2 "named" processes running on your box.

2. If you want to serve up only a subset or "shadow copy" of your domain to the
outside world, then since there's no way (yet) of selectively hiding certain names
within a DNS zone, you need to run a separate nameserver instance for that purpose
(same thing applies of course if the external version is completely different from
the internal version). Where you run those instances -- including the decision of
whether to run them on the same box or separate boxes -- is of course another
question and depends largely on where you are sending and receiving queries, what
your firewall/network connectivity and security policies allow, and how manageable
the setup will be in the long term. We are quite happy running multiple instances of
named on our firewalls, for instance.

I can't really address the rest with any specificity since I'm not familiar with the
capabilities of Cisco PIX firewalls or, for that matter, running DNS on NT.

- Kevin