DD file copy from PRI to SEC is unmatched

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 3 16:08:49 UTC 1999

In article <008a01bf3d40$39b49340$05160f2b at hse005.ssd.sony.co.jp>,
Masataka_Tanaka <mtanaka at ssd.sony.co.jp> wrote:
># Prompt reply is very very welcome q(^o^)p
>
>Hello, there.
>
>I have been holding a basic question about DNS.
>My current BIND working environment is under Solaris 2.6
>and BIND 8.x .
>
>(1)  The system has DNS primary and secondary, and a head part
>      of one of the DDF(Domain Data File) within primary server is
>      as follows :

They're usually called "zone files" or "DB files".  I've never heard "DDF"
before -- where did you get that from?

>(2)  On the other hand, copied DDF(Domain Data File) zzz.yyy.xxx.zone
>      from primary DNS_A to secondary DNS_B has next format.
>      And it is confirmed some data lines within INCLUDEd file has lost.
>      I wanna know that reason.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DNS transfers zones, not files.  All the data that was in the INCLUDEd
files should be in the zone file on the secondary server.

>      Focus :  Especially WITH WHAT WAY the primary data file transfered to
>                 secondary's ??
>                 FOR WHAT does the defference between PIR and SEC zone file
>mean??

The primary sends all the records that are in the zone, as a big DNS
response to a zone transfer query by the secondary.  It's not sent as text,
but in the internal binary format that DNS uses (see RFC 1035).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com