BIND 8.2 Zone Transfers take forever

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com Mark.Andrews at iengines.com
Sat Dec 4 22:53:43 UTC 1999

	For each of the zones you are having a problem with request
	the SOA for that zone from the master server with recursion
	disabled.

	e.g.
		dig +norec SOA zone @master

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> +norec soa vix.com @ns-ext.vix.com
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	vix.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
vix.com.		1H IN SOA	ns-ext.vix.com. hostmaster.vix.com. (
					1999101600	; serial
					1H		; refresh
					30M		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1H )		; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
vix.com.		1H IN NS	ns-ext.vix.com.
vix.com.		1H IN NS	ns1.gnac.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns-ext.vix.com.		1H IN A		204.152.184.64
ns1.gnac.com.		19h52m5s IN A	209.182.195.77

;; Total query time: 662 msec
;; FROM: bsdi.dv.isc.org to SERVER: ns-ext.vix.com  204.152.184.64
;; WHEN: Sun Dec  5 09:47:20 1999
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 25  rcvd: 151

	If you didn't get a soa record in the ANSWER section the
	zone is not being served by the master.

	If you didn't get "aa" in the flags section there is a
	syntax error in the master zone file.  Touch the master
	zone file and reload the master server and look at the
	syslog (/var/adm/messages) to see on which line(s) the
	error(s) is(are) and correct them.

	If you do have a aa flag try to transfer the zone using
	dig.

	e.g.
		dig axfr zone @master

	If the zone transfer succeeds you have a problem with the
	slaves setup otherwise you have other problems with the
	master.

	BIND 8.2 leave some droppings behind at times.  These are
	cleand up in later releases.  You may also want to upgrade
	for security reasons.

	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at iengines.com