Servers

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Dec 6 10:30:54 UTC 1999

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "Dan Wright" <wildstyle at home.com>

> I'm getting an error when I try to run nslookup.  When I run it in a command prompt I get:
>
> ***Can't find server name for address {my ip}: No information
> ***Default servers are not available
>
> I don't have a registered domain yet, is that what this error means?

Not exactly; what it means is that your reverse DNS is broken or
nonexistent.

For example, if (my ip) would be 192.168.0.1, you could remedy the problem
by setting up a "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa." zone, and adding a PTR record
for 1 pointing at your host name. OTOH, if (my ip) is a non-private IP
address, there should already be an authoritative server for it somewhere
on the Internet.

Thor

--
My PGP public key is available on key servers - please use it!