BIND 8.2 Zone Transfers take forever

Marko Costa marko_costa at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 10:03:32 UTC 1999

> Are the named-xfer processes hanging around forever?

I'm happy (but puzzled) to say that as I was going to check on this,
to answer you, I started the slave named and it transferred all the
zones (about 1.5MB of files) in just a few minutes.

I could not believe it !!

I have done no configuration change in either the master or the slave.

I was trying to find out what the problem was for about two weeks
when I posted my problem to this group.

The only "change" it occurs to me was sending a HUP to the master
to reread the files, as there was a wrong IP in one of the in-arpa
files that I had to correct.

> Have you checked your log?  It sounds like the zone transfers are failing
> for some reason, so named-xfer is leaving the temporary zone file around.

I had checked it but could find no problem

> It's possible that named-xfer is hanging.  After 2 hours, named will kill a
> named-xfer process that hasn't finished, and it will soon start another for
> the same zone.

So I guess that was what was happening. But WHY ??

> What version of BIND was the secondary running before you upgraded?

I had no slave. I just installed a new BIND 8.2 named.
The master had been upgraded from BIND 4.9.

I intend to install now 8.2.2-p5.

Thank you so much for your kind help.
Marko Costa