Help in setting up DNS in Redhat linux 6.1

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 6 18:16:06 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 01:10:54PM -0600, Adeline Arumainayagam wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need help to setup a nameserver for a.com for the following case....
>
> a.com 's  nameserver is    ns1.xyz.com, ns2.xyz.com
>
> I want  b.com to be resolved by a.com. I have changed the name server for
> b.com to be ns1.a.com ns2.a.com at register.com....
>
> So what will be the configuration files...
>
> Thanks
> Sivakumar.

They would be exactly the same as what they would have been if there
were not the various other systems involved.

On ns1.xyz.com and ns2.xyz.com, the named.conf would include zone a.com:

zone "a.com"	IN {
	type master;
	file "zone.a";
};

or

zone "a.com"	IN {
	type slave;
	masters { IP.ADDR.OF.ns1; };
	file "zone.a";
};

in its /etc/named.conf, and then whichever is the "master" would start
off with zone file zone.a:

$TTL	86400
@	IN SOA	ns?.xyz.com hostmaster at xyz.com ( ... )
	IN NS	ns1.xyz.com
	IN NS	ns2.xyz.com

On ns1.a.com and ns2.a.com, the named.conf would include zone b.com:

zone "b.com"	IN {
	type master;
	file "zone.b";
};

or

zone "b.com"	IN {
	type slave;
	masters { IP.ADDR.OF.ns1; };
	file "zone.b";
};

in its /etc/named.conf, and then whichever is the "master" would start
off with zone file zone.b:

$TTL	86400
@	IN SOA	ns?.a.com hostmaster at a.com ( ... )
	IN NS	ns1.a.com
	IN NS	ns2.a.com

Note how one set of directions is exactly the same as the other set of
directions, with the domain names changed.  ;-}

Note also that the hostmaster@ addresses MUST [out of sheer politeness]
be valid e-mail addresses for said hostmasters, and the ns? in each SOA
record is not to be taken literally, but is to be the name of whichever
host is the master.

Note that the resolver config files on any a.com hosts should contain
the IP addresses for the xyz.com name servers, and the resolver config
files on any b.com hosts should contain the IP addresses for the a.com
name servers.

Hope this helps.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B