BIND to MSDNS on same box

Jace D. jaced at jaced.com
Tue Dec 7 20:30:02 UTC 1999

Hi all...

I have a quick question regarding DNS on an NT server:

I have an NT box with BIND V4.9.6 installed and running, providing DNS
service for several live zones. I'd like to change over to MS DNS for
administration purposes, and MS DNS is currently installed on the same
machine, with no zones configured. Now, logic tells me that it'd be a less
than brilliant idea to have both BIND and MSDNS running at the same time on
the same box, particularly if each service had conflicting zone info for the
same domain. I'm trying to determine the best approach to moving over from
BIND to MSDNS on the same box. I'm thinking I should first (a) make sure
MSDNS service is Stopped, and then (b) configure the necessary zones in
MSDNS. Then, (c) I should stop the BIND service, and lastly Start MS
Service. I'm I correct on this? Does BIND and MSDNS service use the same
files?

Thanks for any clues...

jaced at jaced.com