delegation problems

Robin Bowes Robin.Bowes at eoc.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 10:07:00 UTC 1999

> > I'm getting an error when I try and delegate a domain using the
on-line
> > form
> > <http://www.ina.com.au/delegation/delegationfr.html>
> >
> > I am using the following name server values on the form:
> >
> > Primary: ns0.dedicated-services.com 216.87.208.25
> > Secondary: ns1.dedicated-services.com 216.151.192.60
> >
> > When I submit, I get the following error:
> >
> > ns0.dedicated-services.com is not listed as a NS by server
> > ns1.dedicated-services.com - 1, 0
> >
> > Any idea what causes this?
>
> I would assume the servlet is doing an NS query to your server(s) for
the
> domain you are trying to delegate, and either not getting back a valid
> answer, or an answer which doesn't contain the nameserver(s) you
specified.
> Have you set up the zones on your servers yet?

That was the problem.  My (ahem) "colleague" had setup these domains and
not done it properly.  Plus, the primary server was down when they
initially tried the delegation.

All is now well.

>(I could have verified this
> myself if you had mentioned what domain you're trying to delegate;
> presumably it's something under com.au). The error message could
probably
> be made a little more user-friendly.

I agree.  If it said "couldn't connect to server" or "domain xxxx.com.au
not found on server xxx.xxx.xx.xx" then I would have found the problem
much more easily.

Thanks for the help,

R.
 --
Robin Bowes, System Development Manager, Equal Opportunities Commission,
Room 405A, Overseas House, Quay St., Manchester, M3 3HN, UK.