Aliasing different domains

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 8 20:47:19 UTC 1999

"Vijay" <vijay.mayadas at winwin.com> writes:

>Is it possible to alias different domains in DNS?

>So I want to one.mydomain.com to two.yourdomain.com.

>I know I can do one.mydomain.com to two.mydomain.com but I need to
>understand what needs to be done to achieve the above.

There is no direct domain alias.  If the two are on the same server,
you can load the same zone file under different names.  As long as
all names are relative to the zone of the file, this works fine.

If you don't like that, or they are different servers, you need a zone
file full of CNAME entries pointing to the other domain.

In the case of a change of domain, going from an old domain to new domain,
while keeping the old domain working, the CNAME method works well.
(New entries will be added to the new domain, and won't be needed in
the old.)

-- glen