Error msg buggin me

Jason Rotunno rotunnoj at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 9 20:36:15 UTC 1999

I don't know a whole lot about DNS.  I setup a linux box and didn't want
to pay for someone else to do it for my domain so I set it up myself
using the Linux DNS How-To.  Everything seems to work fine aside from the
fact that the reverse DNS doesn't work because, if my assumptions are
correct, only the people to whom the IPs were assigned to can do it - my ISP.
Following the DNS HOW-TO, though I setup the file which looks l ike it's used
for reverse DNS.  It contains entries listing the host portion of an IP
address and the host.domain name that's using it:

108             PTR     <host.domain>.

The name of the file is the network portion of my IP address (first 3
octets of class c address if i'm not mistaken).  I don't know if this has
anythign to do w/ the error message, but I'm giving the info in case it
does.  Anyway, here's the message in my logs:

Dec  8 17:07:26 drop named[105]: sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN) on
<host.domain>.<network portion of IP in reverse order>.in-addr.arpa?

I don't want to give the real domain name or IP address so people don't
start port scanning me and so on.  I get this message constantly.  Anyone
know exactly what this is all about?

Thanks.

Jason