Reverse lookup zones

Richard richard.abraham at mnr.gov.on.ca
Fri Dec 10 15:34:11 UTC 1999

Somebody who can help:

I am attempting to set up my Compaq Tru64 Unix v5.0 computer to be a slave
DNS server.  The primary is an NT box.

It works well except the reverse lookup zones seem to be much more intensive
than I think they should be.

The zones have addresses in:  156.153.*.* and many more.

In the past I have been able to get the reverse lookup tables by specifying
the zone as 153.156.in-addr.arpa etc.  That doesn't work here.

I seem to have to specify all zones with their first 3 numbers.

i.e. 12.153.156.in-addr.arpa
       60.153.156.in-addr.arpa
       71.153.156.in-addr.arpa
       and on and on and on.

I'm assuming that is how NT has them on the master.

Is there a simple way of getting all the reverse lookup zone information
other than as above.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Richard Abraham