Unapproved AXFR?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Dec 10 20:18:14 UTC 1999

In article <s850e500.009 at acpgate.acp.org>,
David Spigelman <dspigelm at acp.org> wrote:
>I just noticed an Unapproved AXFR message in my log. It reads:
>
>unapproved AXFR from [195.92.232.69].64326 for
>"durabella-system-floors.co.uk" (not master/slave)
>
>As near as I can tell, and AXFR is a query that's supposed to cause a zone
>transfer because the slave server's data is not current. But I really have
>nothing to do with that domain, or address. So I don't really understand
>what's going on. Is someone from that address trying to force a zone
>transfer to them? What does this mean?

195.92.232.69 is trying to perform a zone transfer from you server.  The
request wasn't approved because your server is not a master or slave server
for the zone (that's what the part in parentheses means).

Why they're trying to transfer from your server is a mystery to me.  They
could be confused, or maybe you're their default server and they forgot to
specify a server when trying to list the domain.  If you want to know, find
the people in charge of that machine and ask them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com