Domain only resolved locally... Confused.

Kendall Koning kkoning at egl.net
Fri Dec 10 19:51:13 UTC 1999

I've got a confusing situation where one of our hosted domains only
resolves from our own servers, even though everything looks fine @
internic.  I'm running BIND 8.1 on Debian 2.1...

A local dnsquery looks like everything is set up correctly, and
everything resolves correctly on the local nameserver.  So the next
thing I check is internic, and whois is pointing at the correct
servers...  We got hundreds of other domains on this server that sure
look like they're set up the same, and they all work...  Am I missing
something obvious and just need a smack on the head?

Any pointers or RTFMs would be appreciated.

Details below.

--
Kendall Koning
Internet Operations Engineer, egl.net

kkoning at bethel -+=(/var/named/r)=+-
$ dnsquery russrestaurants.com
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3
;;      russrestaurants.com, type = ANY, class = IN
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN NS        ns.egl.net.
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN NS        ns2.egl.net.
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN MX        5 mail.egl.net.
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN A         208.163.0.31
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN SOA       ns.egl.net. webmaster.egl.net. (
                                        20              ; serial
                                        1H              ; refresh
                                        10M             ; retry
                                        1D              ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

russrestaurants.com.    1H IN NS        ns.egl.net.
russrestaurants.com.    1H IN NS        ns2.egl.net.
ns.egl.net.             1H IN A         208.159.114.2
ns2.egl.net.            1H IN A         208.159.114.6
mail.egl.net.           1H IN A         208.159.114.4

kkoning at bethel -+=(/var/named/r)=+-
$ whois russrestaurants.com
< Boring - Deleted>

   Name Server: NS.EGL.NET
   Name Server: NS2.EGL.NET

Another local ISP's nameserver doesn't resolve the domain

kkoning at bethel -+=(/var/named/e)=+-
$ nslookup russrestaurants.com ns.macatawa.org
Server:  freenet.macatawa.org
Address:  206.26.113.2

*** freenet.macatawa.org can't find russrestaurants.com: Non-existent
host/domain

The zonefile for this domain looks like:

@                       IN  SOA ns.egl.net. webmaster.egl.net. (
                                20           ; serial number
                                3600        ; refresh
                                600         ; retry