network solutions dns server update - how long to propagate?

Kenneth W. Tom ken at mui.net
Sat Dec 11 08:17:50 UTC 1999

On 6 Dec 1999 01:18:17 -0800, "Lawrence Chan"
<webmaster at montevino.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We've initiated a complete change of name servers for a domain, ie both host names
>and ip addresses via Internic's Make Changes/Host Form.  We've also replied to
>their Yes and ACK confirmations for the change request.  Are we suppose to get a
>confirmation from them on when the root servers have been updated?  Or, are we
>supposed to check Whois ourselve?  We have not received any further email from
>them.  Is this good news or bad?  Please advice.

I did the same thing a month ago or so.  IP changes for name servers
take about a week to process, since it's entered by hand (or so it's
been explained to me).  check on the whois, as well as nslookup.
whatever you do, don't change your internal info until 24 hrs after
you see the propogation change (atleast don't change them all, keep
one of your nameservers with the old stuff) or stuff will get broken.
Supposedly, 72 hrs for a complete change.  Also, if be warned that
I've seen times where an ISP along the way doesn't make the
propogation - in my case, I had to contact the ISP about it, which
then fixed the problem.

I'm no expert, but I hope this helps.

ken