DNS failure

Marek marek at welshdragon.com
Mon Dec 13 19:43:23 UTC 1999

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:22:18 GMT, Barry Margolin wrote:
>In article <199912131548.HAA28147 at isrv3.pa.vix.com>,
>Marek Narkiewicz  <marek at intercreations.com> wrote:
>>I can successfully launch my named with no error messages. When i try to
>>use it (using
>>nslookup) however I get this error message:
>>*** Can't find server name for address 212.41.41.71: Non-existent host/domain
>>and nslookup defaults to the second DNS server listed.
>>Is this possibly because my server's host name doesn't match what is
>>reurned by reverse
>>dns? As I am not authoritative for that I have to wait for my isp to
>>update their settings.
>
>No, it means that there is no reverse DNS for the server's address at all.
>nslookup won't use a default server unless that server is able to perform
>reverse DNS of its own address.

In that case what courses of action are available to me? I have authority over only this
one machine and it's single ip address. Can I get my isp to delegate the reverse dns for
this one machine over to me or is that not possible. If not what can i do to run my own
dns server?
cheers
--
Marek, Webmaster Intercreations