HELP HELP HELP ???

Mohammed Ghanawi mohammed.ghanawi at hct.ac.ae
Tue Dec 14 06:56:43 UTC 1999

I just upgraded to bind 8.2.2, and man I am having strange problems ...

Every now and then my new bind 8.2.2 named just refuses to resolve local
addresses, it still resolve addresses outside our domain with no
problem. When this problem happen all clients fail to access any inernet
services. What is more strange, on the server itself I can resolve the
local domain and remote domain addresses. From the clients I can ping
machines localy by IP address but not by name, and I can ping remote
machine both by name and IP address. I tried stopping named and
restarting but no success, I even rebooted the whole machine. Plus even
more strange, on any client that refuses to ping a local machine by name
if I run nslookup on that client it connects to the correct DNS server
and resolves names (from within nslookup) with no problem, once I am out
of nslookup and try to ping local clients by name it fails with the
message UNKNOWN HOST (This happen to all clients using that DNS server).
After sometime evreything is back together and cliens starts resolving
both local and remote hostnames with no problem. Ther is nothing in the
log files either.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: mohammed.ghanawi.vcf
-- Desc: Card for Mohammed Ghanawi