telnet to port 53

Donal Diamond ddiamond at indigo.ie
Tue Dec 14 18:49:11 UTC 1999

>  > > In article <19991210131718.C920 at adams.cospo.osis.gov>,
>  > > Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov> wrote:
>  > > >On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 05:32:53PM -0500, David wrote:
>  > > >> Hi,
>  > > >> Should I be able to telnet to port 53? If not, how can i disable it?
>  > > >>

Hi - I have a similar query. I am quite new to BIND and this newsgroup (less than 24hrs!) so please forgive me if this has already
been answered. Had a quick look at the list archives - dosnt seem to have a search option.

I am using BIND 8.2.2 patchlevel 5 as a caching only server on FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE.
In the interests of security I want to disable named running on TCP port 53. I only want UDP 53 open.
As I have been told a golden rule in securing a box is to get rid of services that are not needed.
I would prefer to be able to disable TCP port 53 using some startup option on  BIND rather than filtering it out using a firewall.

Is this possible?

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanx
Donal