BIND 9 & GSS-TSIG

David R. Conrad David.Conrad at iengines.com
Thu Dec 16 03:02:28 UTC 1999

Hi,

> I take it then that the nature of the offers mentioned by David involved
> MS actualy paying for the development of MS GSS-TSIG by or for BIND,

No.  There was (and still is to some extent) some question as to whether
Microsoft provides enough information to create a version of GSS-TSIG that can
interoperate with Microsoft's implementation equivalently as Microsoft's
product.  The offers to work with Microsoft weren't so much looking for them
to fund the development, but rather to insure that we had enough information
to create an interoperable implementation.  Stuart Kwan of Microsoft assures
me, however, that sufficient information is provided publicly to permit the
interoperable implementation so this shouldn't be an issue anymore.

We would like to do an implementation (particularly within BINDv9.0) as there
clearly is value, but ISC is pretty tight on resources right now...

> Has anyone else expressed any interest in funding the
> development?

Several organizations have, in the past, indicated interest in this however
things never got beyond the discussion phase.  I would be interested in
talking with anyone who would like to see (read: fund) an Open Source
implementation of Microsoft's GSS-TSIG.

Rgds,
-drc
Executive Director, Internet Software Consortium
Director of Engineering, Internet Engines, Inc.