Selective Forwarding on 8.2.x

pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com
Thu Dec 16 08:46:14 UTC 1999

Hello,

Having trouble assisting another DNS administrator using BIND8.2.2.

He's attempting to use Selective Forwarding and I have advised him to use the
following:

zone "subdomain.com" {
               type forward;
               forward only;
               forwarders { 10.xx.xx.xx; };
     };

This is for an Internal network only. The result is that his real domain is
"real.com" is being attached to his query and confusing his DNS server. He
gets:"hostname.subdomain.com.real.com" and fails!

I believe this is obvious, but I'm not confident with BIND 8.2.

Also, on BIND 4.9.4, I'm having trouble clearing the cache, any quick methods to
clear the cache immediately?

Could I please have some advise.