Selective Forwarding on 8.2.x

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 16 15:02:55 UTC 1999

In article <80256849.00303569.00 at qedilc01.qedi.quintiles.com>,
 <pwolfe at qred.quintiles.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Having trouble assisting another DNS administrator using BIND8.2.2.
>
>He's attempting to use Selective Forwarding and I have advised him to use the
>following:
>
>zone "subdomain.com" {
>               type forward;
>               forward only;
>               forwarders { 10.xx.xx.xx; };
>     };
>

>This is for an Internal network only. The result is that his real domain is
>"real.com" is being attached to his query and confusing his DNS server. He
>gets:"hostname.subdomain.com.real.com" and fails!

That's being done by the resolver on the client machines, not the server.
He must have an old resolver library, because most systems fixed this years
ago.

>Also, on BIND 4.9.4, I'm having trouble clearing the cache, any quick methods to
>clear the cache immediately?

There's only one way to clear the cache, no matter what version of BIND
you're using: restart named.  How quick that is depends on how many zones
it has to load when it starts up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com