a way of deviding into NS records with user`s address

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 16 19:24:37 UTC 1999

In article <38590D49.8E8D6FF3 at ma.neweb.ne.jp>,
=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCOzAySEtcISE2MztSGyhC?=  <mikamoto at ma.neweb.ne.jp> wrote:
>Hi,
>Des anyone know how to devide reqested user into several NS record with
>its source IP addresses. That is , theres are to NS recods in one
>domain.
>  xxx.com   IN   NS   aaa.xxx.com
>                      bbb.xxx.com
>
>If a client is reqesting to this named`s and his nework address is
>1.0.0.0/8, he have to point to aaa.xxx.com. other client is  reqesting ,
>he refer to bbb.xxx.com.

This isn't possible in NS records.  All the servers listed in NS records
are expected to be equivalent.  The purpose of multiple NS records is
redundancy, not separating information.

>So I want to control and devide into several NS records with reqeting
>user`s address, so that user will be able to point to nearest server
>from his position.

There are a number of software and hardware products on the market that
perform this, by measuring network latency or examining network routing
data.  An example is Cisco Distributed Director.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com