Error when bind starts

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Dec 16 23:08:12 UTC 1999

In article <19991216175330.A19108 at home.com>,
Bill Woodford  <woodford at home.com> wrote:
>Im running bind 8.2.2-P5 on an IRIX box running 6.5.5f.  When it starts, I
>get this warning:
>
>Zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" (file db.127.0.0): No default TTL set using SOA
>minimum instead
>
>Otherwise the server starts and functions normally.  I've checked the file
>in question, and can see anything wrong with it.  Any ideas?  Is this
>informational, and can it be ignored?  Here's the file (modified to protect
>the innocent):

There are records that don't have explit TTLs specified and need to use a
default, but the file It doesn't have a $TTL statement to set the default
TTL.  So named is falling back to the pre-8.2 behavior of using the Minimum
TTL field as the default TTL.

This has been answered dozens of times in the past few months, please
search www.deja.com before asking questions about BIND warnings.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com