CNAME

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Dec 20 21:18:36 UTC 1999

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 10:26:18AM -0800, Dat Nguyen wrote:
> I understand what you are saying.   But if I specify www.web as a CNAME
> and pointing it to a fix record, it will defeat the purpose of load balancing
> dns (lbnamed).
> What I got from lbnamed document was to delegate a virtual subdomain
> for lbnamed to serve (which is web.mydomain.com).
> www is a group of hosts under web.mydomain.com.  Each time a request for
> www.web.mydomain.com is made, lbnamed will decide to return an ip address
> of the host with the least "load".
> Since I wanted to do load balancing for our web site, I do not want people to
> type www.web.mydomain.com but www.mydomain.com instead. (This would
> make life much simpler).  What I did was adding an NS record
> web          IN      NS      ns3.mydomain.com.
>  From what I understand about name server, if a request is made to anything
> under web.mydomain.com, ns3.mydomain.com will be the responsible name
> server resolving the request.
> The funny thing is that I have no problem finding the www.mydomain.com without
> using the proxy server.  But as soon as I use our proxy server, I get this
> problem.

My answer was flawed, by my not noticing some detail in your original
query.  It still shouldn't work, though.  If you want to access the
hosts as "www.mydomain.com", it does NOT help for you to define a zone
"web.mydomain.com" and a host "www.web.mydomain.com".  Those are
superfluous.  You probably had a definition for "www.mydomain.com"
somewhere in the part of the zone file that you chopped off.

Your last sentence above says so much and so little.  How are you using
your proxy server?  What is the exact manner of failure?  If you mean
that you cannot access your internal name server outside your proxy
server, then good - the proxy server is doing what it is meant to do.

Getting back to your 'lbnamed' problem ...

I am not familiar with 'lbnamed' itself.  I am sure I could find it on
the Web, but a reference would help.  Nevertheless, I suspect that what
you really want to do is have a domain named "www", NOT "web":

www		IN  NS		ns3.mydomain.com

and then, on ns3, just list the A records for the different hosts as A
records for the domain name itself:

$TTL		...
@	IN SOA	ns.mydomain.com	hostmaster at mydomain.com ( ... )
	IN NS	ns.mydomain.com