Reverse for a /23

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Dec 22 22:55:16 UTC 1999

Fred Viles wrote:

> cricket at acmebw.com (Cricket Liu) wrote in
> <015601bf4ca9$3cdf14a0$b577a8ce at boulder.acmebw.com>:
>
> >> O.K... I had heard RFC2317 was for doing reverse breaking _any_ of
> >> the octets... not just the last one.
> >>
> >> Then what would be done, for say a /17 reverse?  Create 32768
> >> reverse files?
> >
> >Hypothetically, yes.
>
> Excuse me, but why is this even hypothetically yes?  It would
> still be 127 zones, wouldn't it?

I think what Cricket means is that it would be hypothetically possible
for each of the 32,768 addresses in a /17 range to have its own reverse
zone. 32,768 zones = 32,768 master files. But this hypothetical has
nothing to do with either a) RFC 2317, or b) normal reverse delegation
practice. It was only prompted by the "Create 32768 reverse
files?" _non_sequitur_. I can't imagine any sane person preferring
32,768 delegations where a mere 128 would suffice...