Controversial SOA values ?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Dec 23 17:26:13 UTC 1999

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 11:45:05PM -0500, wwebb at adni.net wrote:
> I would be grateful if you could elaborate on "notifys can get
> dropped, they are just UDP packets."  I see no such explanation in  the
> DNS & BIND book.

No, this would have to come from something that explained basic IP
networking concepts.  The basic differences between TCP and UDP is that
the former is a "reliable" protocol based on end-to-end connections, and
that UDP is an "unreliable, connectionless" protocol.  That does NOT
mean that it is guaranteed not to work: it usually does.  It only means
that it is NOT guaranteed to ALWAYS work.  E.g., if someone disconnects
my workstation or there is some other interference, a TCP packet sender
will see no ACK and will re-transmit; while a UDP sender will have
already done its job, packed its kit, and gone home.

Clear as mud?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B