bind-8.2.2-P5 keeps loading primary zones unnecessarily

jpsp at oberon.fccn.net jpsp at oberon.fccn.net
Thu Dec 23 11:39:26 UTC 1999

Mark.Andrews at iengines.com wrote:

<snip>
: >
: > Any ideas ?
: > Any debugging hints ?

: 	Extract all the named related messages and put them in a file.
: 	Then delete the "No default TTL", "duplicate notify" and
: 	'master zone "XX"' messages and see what is left.

: 	The "No default TTL" is because 8.2 onwards supports RFC 2308
: 	and the use of the minimum field has changed.  Add "$TTL <value>"
: 	to the start of your master zone files.

: 	The "duplicate notify" are a direct result of the zone being
: 	reloaded rapidly so they are not signicicant in getting to the
: 	underlying cause.

: 	I suspect something else will have been logged just prior to the
: 	first of these unexpected loads.

I've added $TTL <value>.  Now I don't get "No default TTL...".
I also did a "notify no;" on the configurarion file in order to
stop bothering secondary name servers.   However there's still
a lot of "suppressing duplicate notify" messages...  I'm starting to
feel that there's nothing wrong on the configuration, but this is
a manifestation of a bug.

There's something interesting: after a "kill -HUP", bind loads that
primary zone on very close intervals: 1, 2 seconds on the first minutes.
Then (whenever it reaches a steady state) it loads the primary zone with
2 minutes intervals.

There are no more logging messages other than the ones I've already
posted.

I think I'll be adding some debugging channels/categories even running the
risk of bogging down a _very_ busy DNS server.

Thanks,
--
Joao Pagaime, SysAdmin - FCCN - Portugal

: 	Mark

: >
: > Thanks,
: > Joao Pagaime
: >
: --
: Mark Andrews, Internet Engines Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
: 1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
: PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at iengines.com